New Orleans Creole Gumbo
This detailed step-by-step recipe features a classic New Orleans Creole Gumbo. It includes ingredients such as andouille sausage, crab meat, and shrimp, along with traditional vegetables and spices. Preparation begins with a roux, then broth, meat, and vegetables are added and simmered together to create a rich, thick, and flavorful soup.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour,
- 3/4 cup bacon drippings,
- 1 cup coarsely chopped celery,
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped,
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped,
- 2 cloves garlic, minced,
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced,
- 3 quarts water,
- 6 cubes beef bouillon,
- 1 tablespoon white sugar,
- Salt to taste,
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco), or to taste,
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend (such as Tony Chachere's), or to taste,
- 4 bay leaves,
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves,
- 14.5 ounce can stewed tomatoes,
- 6 ounce can tomato sauce,
- 1/2 pound crabmeat,
- 2 pounds frozen cooked shrimp without tails,
- 2 tablespoons gumbo file powder
How to Make New Orleans Creole Gumbo
- Make a roux by whisking the flour and 3/4 cup bacon drippings together in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat to form a smooth mixture. Cook the roux, whisking constantly, until it turns a rich mahogany brown color. This can take 20 to 30 minutes; watch heat carefully and whisk constantly or roux will burn. Remove from heat; continue whisking until mixture stops cooking.
- Stir the vegetables into the roux, and mix in the sausage. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Bring the water and beef bouillon cubes to a boil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Stir until bouillon cubes dissolve, and whisk the roux mixture into the boiling water. Reduce heat to a simmer, and mix in the sugar, salt, hot pepper sauce, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Simmer the soup over low heat for 1 hour; mix in 2 teaspoons of file gumbo powder at the 45-minute mark.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute the okra with vinegar over medium heat for 15 minutes; remove okra with slotted spoon and stir into the simmering gumbo. Mix in crabmeat, shrimp, and Worcestershire sauce, and simmer until flavors have blended, 45 more minutes. Just before serving, stir in 2 more teaspoons of file gumbo powder.
Enjoy your New Orleans Creole Gumbo!
The nutritional value per serving can vary depending on the specific ingredients used in the recipe. However, on average, a serving of New Orleans Creole Gumbo might contain the following:
- Calories: 350
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 5g
Please note that these values are approximate and can vary.