Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Stuffed cabbage rolls, or "golubtsy" as they're known in Russian, are a traditional dish that has won the hearts of many people around the world with its unique taste. This dish consists of cabbage leaves filled with a delicious mixture of meat and rice, which are then simmered to perfection in a flavorful tomato sauce. Golubtsy are a perfect option for lunch or dinner, which can be served with a piece of fresh bread and sour cream. In this recipe, we will detail how to make classic Russian golubtsy step by step.
- Cabbage - 1 head,
- Ground meat (pork, beef, or chicken) - 500 g,
- Rice - 1 cup,
- Onion - 1 pc.,
- Carrot - 1 pc.,
- Tomato paste - 2 tbsp.,
- Salt, pepper - to taste,
- Vegetable oil - for frying,
- Water - 1 cup,
- Sour cream - for serving
How to Make Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Prepare the cabbage. Carefully separate the leaves from the cabbage, making sure they don't tear. If the cabbage is fresh and the leaves are hard to separate, you can slightly boil the head in salted water to make the leaves more pliable.
- Prepare the filling. Boil the rice until it's half-cooked. Finely chop the onion and carrot and fry them in vegetable oil until golden. Mix the ground meat, rice, and fried vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Form the cabbage rolls. Place a bit of the filling on each cabbage leaf. Fold the edges of the leaf towards the center, then roll the leaf into a roll, forming a cabbage roll.
- Prepare the sauce. In a large frying pan or pot, fry some tomato paste, then add water and stir to make a sauce.
- Simmer the cabbage rolls. Place the cabbage rolls in the pan with the sauce, cover with a lid, and simmer over low heat for about 40-50 minutes.
- Serve. Serve the cabbage rolls hot, drizzled with sour cream or the sauce they were cooked in.
Enjoy your meal!
- Calories: 350 kcal
- Protein: 20 g
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g