Lamb Shanks Braised in Wine with Rosemary
Prepare a flavorful and tender dish of lamb shanks braised in wine with rosemary. This recipe is perfect for a special occasion or a weekend dinner. Lamb shanks, browned to a golden hue, then slow-cooked in a rich wine sauce with rosemary and thyme. The result is incredibly tender and juicy meat that simply melts in your mouth. Serve with mashed potatoes or fresh vegetables.
- 4 lamb shanks,
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil,
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste,
- 1 large onion, chopped,
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced,
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary (or 1 teaspoon dried),
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried),
- 1 bottle of red wine,
- 4 cups of beef broth,
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
How to Make Lamb Shanks Braised in Wine with Rosemary
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper, then brown them in the oil on all sides. Remove the meat and set it aside.
- In the same pot, sauté the onion until golden. Add the garlic, rosemary, and thyme, and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste. Then add the wine, stirring constantly to lift all the juicy bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Return the lamb shanks to the pot, add the beef broth. The liquid should almost completely cover the meat.
- Cover the pot and place it in the oven. Braise for 2-2.5 hours, or until the meat is very tender.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh sprigs of rosemary and thyme.
Enjoy your meal!
- Calories: about 600 kcal
- Protein: 50 g
- Fat: 30 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g