Homemade Chicory Kvass
Prepare a refreshing and healthy homemade chicory kvass with our step-by-step recipe. This drink will not only quench your thirst but also give you energy. Perfect for a hot summer day!
- Dry chicory - 100 g,
- Sugar - 1 cup,
- Rye crackers or black bread - 200 g,
- Water - 3 liters,
- Dry yeast - 1 teaspoon (or fresh yeast - 25 g),
- Raisins - 50 g
How to Make Homemade Chicory Kvass
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the chicory to it and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the crackers or black bread to the pot. Stir and leave for 1-2 hours to let the bread infuse.
- Strain the resulting liquid through cheesecloth or a sieve into another clean pot or large jar.
- Add sugar and yeast to the strained liquid. Stir until the sugar and yeast are completely dissolved.
- Add raisins. They not only add flavor but also serve as an indicator of the kvass's readiness. When the raisins float, the kvass is ready.
- Cover the pot or jar with cheesecloth or a towel and leave in a warm place for 1-2 days to ferment.
- Once the raisins float, the kvass is ready. You can strain it and pour it into bottles for storage in the refrigerator.
- Serve the kvass chilled. It quenches thirst well and gives you energy!
Please note that the fermentation time can vary depending on the room temperature and the activity of the yeast. If the kvass does not start to ferment within 24 hours, try adding a little more yeast.
- Calories: 80 kcal
- Protein: 1 g
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g