Vanilla Ice Cream
Prepare delicious homemade vanilla ice cream with our detailed step-by-step recipe. Use natural ingredients to create this classic treat.
- 2 cups of heavy cream,
- 1 cup of milk,
- 3/4 cup of sugar,
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract,
- 6 egg yolks
How to Make Vanilla Ice Cream
- Prepare the ice cream base: In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, milk, and half of the sugar. Set over medium heat and heat until the sugar is fully dissolved and the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- Prepare the egg yolks: In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until light and fluffy.
- Temper the egg yolks: Slowly add a small amount of the hot cream mixture to the egg yolks, whisking vigorously to prevent the yolks from curdling. Continue adding the hot mixture until about half has been added to the yolks.
- Combine the mixtures: Now pour the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining cream mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook the custard: Set the saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add the vanilla: Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the vanilla extract, stirring well.
- Cool: Pour the mixture into a clean bowl, cover, and leave in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight until it is fully chilled.
- Freeze: Use an ice cream machine to freeze the mixture according to the manufacturer's instructions. If you don't have an ice cream machine, you can pour the mixture into a plastic container and put it in the freezer, stirring vigorously every 30 minutes to prevent ice crystals from forming.
- Serve: Serve the ice cream immediately after freezing for the best taste and texture, or store it in the freezer in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Enjoy your homemade vanilla ice cream!
Please note that these values are approximate and may vary depending on the specific ingredients you use.
- Calories: 350
- Fat: 23g (of which saturates: 14g)
- Carbohydrates: 29g (of which sugars: 27g)
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 185mg
- Sodium: 50mg
- Calcium: 130mg
This vanilla ice cream is a source of calcium and contains a significant amount of saturated fats and sugars, so it should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.