Traditional British Fish Cakes
Prepare delicious and hearty traditional British fish cakes with our detailed step-by-step recipe. This recipe includes simple ingredients and clear instructions that will help you create the perfect dish for lunch or dinner.
- 500g white fish fillet (such as cod or haddock),
- 500g potatoes,
- 2 tbsp butter,
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise,
- 1 tbsp mustard,
- 1 tbsp lemon juice,
- 2 tbsp chopped dill,
- Salt and pepper to taste,
- 100g flour,
- 2 eggs,
- 200g breadcrumbs,
- Oil for frying
How to Make Traditional British Fish Cakes
- Preparing the potatoes: Peel the potatoes and boil them in salted water until done. Then mash them into a puree, adding the butter. Let it cool.
- Preparing the fish: Steam or boil the fish fillet in salted water until done. Then break the fish into small pieces.
- Mixing the ingredients: In a large bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, fish, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, and dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Forming the cakes: Form cakes from the resulting mixture. It's convenient to do this with wet hands.
- Breading: Roll each cake first in flour, then in beaten eggs, and finally in breadcrumbs.
- Frying: Heat the oil in a pan and fry the cakes on both sides until golden brown.
- Serving: Serve the fish cakes hot, with lemon and tartar sauce.
Enjoy your meal!
- Calories: 350 kcal
- Protein: 25 g
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
Please note that these values are approximate and may vary depending on the exact ingredients and their quantities that you use.